Technical Assistance for Medicare Providers and Applicants
OCR’s technical assistance materials help providers and applicants develop their policies and procedures for compliance with the civil rights laws and regulations enforced by the Office for Civil Rights. The materials provide applicable regulatory citations and sample policies and procedures for each requirement.
Medicare providers and businesses applying for Medicare must have:
Signed and completed Assurance of Compliance Form HHS-690.
- Nondiscrimination Policies and Notices that prohibit discrimination in the provision of treatment and services on the bases of race, color, national origin, disability and age. These notices must cite the Federal regulations enforced by the Office for Civil Rights.
- Policies and procedures to identify and communicate orally and in writing with persons who have limited proficiency in English (LEP).
- Policies and procedures to ensure effective communication and auxiliary aids for persons with disabilities.
- A description of how Medicare providers and applicants make their program accessible to persons with disabilities.
- An explanation for any age restrictions that exist in the medicare provider or applicant's program.
- A Grievance Procedure which incorporates minimum due process standards for patients with a disability.