We are using a variety of communications tools to offer updates on the CLI and ACA provisions that affect people with disabilities and obtain comments from the public. This section includes fact sheets, PowerPoint presentations and transcripts of conference calls.
- The Affordable Care Act for Americans with Disabilities (Most Recent Fact Sheet, Updated April 2012)
- People with Disabilities & Serious Health Conditions: The Top 5 Things You Need to Know About the Affordable Care Act. (English PDF – 2.50 MB) (Spanish PDF - 2.50 MB) A HealthCare.Gov Fact Sheet (December 2011)
- Updated Fact Sheet on Affordable Care Act and Americans with Disabilities (PDF – 46KB): This fact sheet outlines the new health options and protections that the ACA makes available to Americans with disabilities.
Secretary Sebelius’ Speech at Alliance for Full Participation Summit (November 18, 2011)
- Secretary Sebelius' Speech to the National Association of States United for Aging and Disabilities (September 12, 2011)
- Secretary Sebelius' Speech on the Americans with Disabilities Act 21st Anniversary (July 26, 2011)
- Secretary Sebelius’ Speech to National Council on Independent Living (July 13, 2011)
- Secretary Sebelius’ Speech to National Disability Rights Network (June 7, 2011)
Conference Call on Medicare’s Annual Open Enrollment Period
On Monday October 31, 2011, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services and the HHS Office on Disability are convening a conference call – led by Henry Claypool, Director of the HHS Office on Disability and Jonathan Blum, CMS’ Deputy Administrator and the Director of the Center for Medicare – to inform beneficiaries, those who work with them and those who live with them about Medicare’s Open Enrollment Period, as well as changes in Medicare Advantage and Medicare Part D for the coming year. They will also review information that consumers with disabilities, including those who have both Medicare and Medicaid, should consider when making health care plan choices and important changes to the Medicare program under the Affordable Care Act.
- OD & CMS Conference Call on Medicare’s Annual Open Enrollment Period Monday, October 31, 2011 3:30 pm-4:00 pm ET
- Additional Resources on Medicare Parts C and D for Persons with Disabilities
Conference Call on “The Public and Health Care Reform”
On July 14, 2010, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services and the HHS Secretary’s Office on Disability convened a special conference call designed to help advocates and beneficiaries understand the public policy making process and how they can make sure their voices are heard. You can download the PowerPoint presentation and a transcript of the call by accessing the links below.
- The Public Voice in Health Care Reform: The Rulemaking Process (PPT)
- Open Door Teleconference Transcript (PDF – 94KB)
HHS and HUD Community Living Partnership to Expand Housing Options for People with Disabilities Including Older Adults Open Door Forum
On March 1, 2011, The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) hosted a Special Open Door Forum on the HHS and HUD partnership that was developed in response to the Year of Community Living and the Community Living Initiative.
- 2011 HUD HHS Open Door Forum Introduction
- 2011 HUD HHS Open Door Forum Announcement
- Enhancing Supports for Community Living (PPT - 217KB)
- Money Follows the Person Progress, Trends & Opportunities (PDF - 522kb)
Community Living Stakeholder Dialogues